Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Student Housing

Many students move away from home while they are studying. There are lots of different housing options for students. Choosing the right option is important for making the most out of your college or university experience.

Types of student housing

• Halls of residence – usually for first year students and provided by the college or university.
• House share – sharing a private house or flat with other students.
• Privately renting a flat or house on your own – this can be more expensive as you will not be sharing the bills with other house mates.
• Renting a room – sharing accommodation with a landlord can be a cheaper option.
• Private sector halls of residence – provided by private developers and are usually newly built but can be more expensive than university halls of residence.
• Parent owned student houses – where parents buy a property and rent it out to their children and friends.

Where to look

• Student notice boards or place an advert yourself
• Your college or university can offer information and advice
• Letting agents – but remember that many will charge a fee for their services
• Adverts in newspapers and shop windows
• Student accommodation websites such as

For more information

The National Union of Students is a voluntary student membership organisation where you can get housing advice.

Citizens Advice provides information and advice on housing issues that you may encounter as a student.

Gov.UK provides useful information on student finance