Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Housing For Young People

Although you can leave home at 16 without your parents or carers consent, you cannot usually rent a home until you are 18 (there are some exceptions) or get a mortgage to buy your own home.

Many young people will privately rent, often living in a single room in shared accommodation. If you wish to live in a private rented self-contained home, there are restrictions on the amount of housing benefit you can claim if you are under 35.

Read about privately renting

Read about benefits that you can claim if you are under 35

Other options include applying to go on the housing register for a council or housing association home through Kent Homechoice.

Or if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness, you should contact your local council for advice and assistance. If it is not possible to prevent your homelessness or reconnect you back to your family and you are eligible for help, some options may include staying in a hostel, foyer, supported housing, or supported lodgings.

Read more about services that are available if you are homeless.

Council contact details

Link to our fact page for young people aged 16 and 17 here

Or for more information

Citizens Advice Bureau provides useful information for young people on their housing options.

Shelter offers housing advice to young people.